Week 2 Blog- January 24th
Questions:
1. What did you learn?
The first topic we went over was NGSS which is next generation science standards. I learned the different processes of reading codes and learning what each section means. I also learned deeper into the different components of NGSS; SEPs, DCI, and CCCs. SEPs is the activities a student is expected to do to understand the world or solve a problem, DCI is the concepts in science and engineering, and CCCs are ideas that are not specify to any disciplines but crosscuts them. These 3 dimensions are based on the topic of the lesson and go in more depth on the NGSS page.
Another topic in class I learned about was seed germination. Seed germination is the process of how the seed grows that includes photosynthesis and having other steps along the way. A seed needs moisture, nutrients, warmth, and sunlight for it to become a plant. Some parts of the seed to know when learning about seed germination is the embryo, which is the part of the seed that becomes the plane, the seed coat, which is the outer layer of the seed, and the roots, which help brings nutrients to the growing seed.
2. Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?
From the seed germination, I can connect this to photosynthesis which is one of the processes apart of the growth. I always learned about photosynthesis growing up but never learned the term germination or that process.
Another topic we talked about in class was how living things maintain a constant internal state. We talked about the 8 parts of this topic including: homeostasis, growing & development, metabolism, adaptation through evolution, response to stimuli, cellular organization, reproduction, and heredity. I believe talking about this was very beneficial as it refreshed my brain on past things that I already knew.
3. How can you apply what you've learn to your teaching in the future?
From today's class, I will include everything that I learned about seed germination including photosynthesis, and how living things maintain a constant internal state. These will for sure come up on my lessons plans and I can already remember being in 2nd grade growing a plant myself. Lastly, I will use coding in the future when reading lesson plans to understand what each lesson will be going over and what dimensions will be needed.
Photos:
Hi Andriana! I really like the ways that you are going to apply what we learned to your future class. Growing a plant in elementary school would be so fun and a great way to teach the characteristics of living things!
ReplyDeleteHi Andriana! I really like how detailed your post was. I also had known what photosynthesis was from school growing up but never really understood the concept of seed germination until this week in class.
ReplyDeleteI also vividly remember growing plants in elementary school science except we did Lima Beans. I cannot wait to use this idea in my future classroom and teach my students all of about the characteristics of living things and growing plants. I really liked your illustrations of the characteristics on your anchor chart they do a really good job of explaining what each of the characteristics are in living things.
ReplyDeleteI also vividly remember growing plants in elementary school except with lime beans. I cannot wait to use this idea in my classroom about characteristics of living things and growing seeds into plants. I really like your illustrations on anchor chart. They do a really good job of explaining what each characteristic is.
ReplyDeleteHey Andriana!! I found a lot of insight on your blog this week. I found it interesting within your plan to use coding in for your future lesson plans. I am excited to see what you come up with!
ReplyDeleteHi Andriana! I agree how the seed germination is a helpful activity when learning about photosynthesis. I also remember planting a little plant during elementary school and watching it grow when learning about what we learned! Your poster looks amazing and I love the drawings you included with it. Amazing job!
ReplyDelete