Week 7 Blog - February 28th

 Questions:

1. What did you learn this week?

Today I learned more deeper about DNA and how DNA can lead to protein. I also learned about genes and how each parents gives a 50/50 chance of what their child will receive. I also got reminded of the specific vocab (dominant, recessive, phenotype, etc.) and what they mean.

2. Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already knew?

I previously knew about these topics, but I felt as in class today I now have a deeper understand of. I believe the baby game was very interesting and tricky showed me how genetics work. 

3. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?

I can apply this in my future learning as I remember learning this growing up. I really enjoyed the baby game and believe I can use that in my future teaching as it was interactive and engaging. I also think I will be using some of the videos we had in discussion, they brought a very good introduction and representations of DNA and genes. 

Photos:


progress of our caterpillars (butterflies now)

progress of our fast growing plant!

what we based our gene below off of

candy gene example

baby project instructions (use in future)

our data from us flipping a coin

Our end product: Andriana Jr.



















Comments

  1. I also remember doing a similar thing to the baby game growing up! However, I don't remember enjoying it very much so I am not sure that I would include this in my future classroom. Overall good job! I can see you had a lot of fun this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andriana! I loved all the pictures you included! I also talked in my blog about the baby activity. This is a great way to get students engage and learn key concepts about DNA, RNA, and traits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andriana! I love the updates from your plant and the butterflies. I also though that the baby game was very interesting and a great way to learn about DNA, RNA, and the passage of traits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Andriana! Looks like you did a lot in class! I also learned about genetics previously in high school but hearing the words dominant and recessive was like a blast from the past. I also really enjoyed the baby game. I thought it was fun creating a child and seeing how genetics produce phenotypes. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andriana! I like how you mentioned that you have previously learned this material and can apply it to your current understanding and future teaching! I also love the picture of your baby! Such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Andriana! The fast-growing plant is looking great, there are so many blossoms! I also found the baby game very intriguing and hope to find a way to use it with younger levels. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Andriana! I forgot how we learned about DNA turning into a protein, I remember we went over the central dogma! I also thought the baby game was good review, especially when it came to the genome of skin color which was a little more complicated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment