Week 8 Blog - March 6th
Questions:
1. Are you able to relate what you learned to what you already know?
Today in discussion I learned further about genetic mutations. I learned what a codon is: a codon is DNA or RNA sequence of three nucleotides. I also learned how RNA has "u" in its sequence and DNA has "t" is its sequence. We also went over the different types of mutations such as deletion, insertion, substitution, and rearrangement. This all enhances my knowledge with genetic materials.
2. Which parts did you find clear and what did you find confusing?
I found the genetic materials very clear as I have prior knowledge of this. I felt that the simulations helped enhance my learning making it more of an interactive activity. Nothing confusing this week!
3. How can you apply what you've learned to your teaching in the future?
I can apply what I learned today in my future teaching by reflecting my students DNA to this information to better engage their knowledge and give them a personal reflection. I will also use the mutation superhero in the future. I believe this is a very fun and engaging activity for younger students as it brings in information in fun way.
Pictures:
| Update on our fast growing plants! |
| Mutation superhero activity! |
Hi Andriana!
ReplyDeleteI really like your explanation of codons and also that RNA has a U in its sequence and DNA has a T in its sequence. I also like that you mentioned all the different types of mutations because I believe those are all very important to know. I also think using the activities we did in class will be very helpful to use in our future classrooms.
I also found the topics of this week to enhance the knowledge of what I already knew! I found the superhero activity to especially be interesting and I think that it could be adapted for any grade and would be something that kids would be interested in. Plus, it would be something that I would be passionate to use as well because I really like Marvel heroes! Overall, really good job.
ReplyDeleteGood point about the U and T in RNA and DNA! It's great that you'd like to use the superhero activity in your future classroom!
ReplyDeleteHey Andriana! Your plants as well as your superhero look awesome! I love how you already have an idea of how you want to teach DNA in your classroom! Great work!
ReplyDeleteHey Andriana! Your superhero and plant look awesome! I love how you already have a plan of how you want to teach and integrate the concept of DNA into your future science lessons. Great work!
ReplyDeleteHi Andriana! I also found the superhero activity fun and it would be great for younger ages. I am glad that nothing was confusing for you, and sounds like you need to help me with DNA mutations. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHi Adriana, I was able to relate to your blog this week as I also found that majority of the information about genes was of prior knowledge. I wonder how we can take this prior knowledge and apply it in our classrooms to help our students make the most sense of the concept.
ReplyDeleteHi Andriana! I am so sorry about your plant. Looks a tad sideways. The mutation superhero activity was a lot of fun so thank you for posting the sheet! Nice job!
ReplyDelete