Week 12 Blog - April 17th

Questions:
 
What did you learn this week?
This week we learned about how different substances have different types of densities and learned that the higher the density the more compact the particles are in the object. For instance a solid is very compactes, a liquid is kinda compactes, and a gas is very spread out. This is a factor of deciding if something is more dense than other objects. 

What did you find clear? confusing?

Today in lab we also worked with M&Ms and observed them in water of which color would spread the fastest. I found this a little confusing as we saw which color spread but we never got the answer specifically why of some colors spreading faster than others. Although for this mini lab I found it clear why the M&Ms dissolve in water. The sugary coat on M&Ms are less dense than the water allowing the color of the M&M to spread. Another thing we observed was the difference in M&Ms dissolving in sugary water and normal water. We saw that the M&M's spread faster in the normal water, which makes sense because the normal water is a different substance than the M&Ms, but the sugary water has a more similar substance as the M&Ms

How can you use this in the future?

I can use this lab in the future as I feel like it was a very interactive activity and also truly showed the science concept. I also liked how we used data to make conclusions about the activity. I feel like all aspects of the activity would be beneficial to teach in the future.

Photos:











Comments